Visa requirements for Medical travel to India
The Indian Government offer Medical visas for citizens from other countries who are ailing from a medical condition and would like have it treated in India. Medical treatment in India is much sought after since there is top notch talent, world class facilities and the cost is far cheaper than elsewhere.
An applicant holding a valid passport from their country and who has a medical condition clinically reported and acknowledged by a reputed Medical institution can apply for a Medical visa in India.
Foreigners with any type of long-term Indian visas of six months and more need not convert these to medical visas for treatment of minor conditions that only require outpatient consultation.
Foreigners who are in India on a valid visa, for sudden illnesses that require hospitalization of less than 180 days, foreign nationals or their representatives have to approach the Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) and submit a medical certificate from a recognized hospital with information about the recommended treatment and its duration. The FRRO can grant a medical permit of less than 180 days against a fee. In such cases, the primary visa will not be canceled.
Foreigners holding X1 visas (person of Indian origin, children of an Indian citizen/OCI cardholder) and X2 visas (spouse of an Indian citizen/OCI cardholder) will be allowed to avail of treatment without converting their existing visas into medical visas and without seeking permission from the concerned FRROs
Those who are seeking a visa for short-term treatment up to 60 days can apply for e-Medical Visa. The patient needs to fill up the visa form online and generally visa grant letter will be sent to the patient's email within 24-72 hours. Passport holders of the 43 countries include: Australia, Brazil, Cambodia, Cook Islands, Djibouti, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Luxembourg, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Russia, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, USA, Vanuatu, Vietnam are eligible for visa online. For those who are holding the passport of any other country which is not there in the above list need to fill up the form online and submit a hard copy to the Indian consulate in their respective country.
Travelers are ONLY able to get 2 e-Visas per calendar year.The Indian Medical e-Visa is valid for 120 days after issue. You can enter India on any date within this period.The visa holder can stay in the territory of the country for no more than 60 calendar days. The Indian Medical e-Visa is non-extendable.Applicants must arrive using the same passport with which they applied for the Medical e-Visa.
Indian Medical e-Visa is a triple entry visa, it is important to note that the Indian Medical e-Visa can be used a maximum of three times in a calendar year i.e. between January and December.
The Indian Medical e-Visa is valid for entry through 26 designated Airports (i.e. Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum, Varanasi & Vishakhapatnam) and 5 designated seaports (i.e. Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai, Chennai). However, travelers can exit from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India.
The government of India also issue long-term medical visa valid up to 6 months or 1 year for those who require prolonged hospitalization or treatment. Such patient's need to fill up the application form online and submit a hard copy along with supporting documents to the Indian consulate in their respective country.
Those who are travelling to India from yellow fever affected countries like Angola,Burundi,Central African Republic,Congo,Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast),Democratic Republic of the Congo,French Guiana,Gabon,Ghana,Guinea-Bissau,Liberia,Niger,Sierra Leone,Suriname,Togo need to produce yellow fever vaccination certificate at the time of arrival in India.
Up to two people are allowed to accompany the applicant and they need to be the blood relatives of the patient. Also, their visas will be separate from the patient’s and are called Medical Attendant visas, although they have the same validity as the patient’s medical visa.
A key responsibility of foreign Nationals who wish to reside long-term in India (typically that exceeds more than 180 days) is to visit the FRRO (Foreign Regional Registration Office) within the first 14 days of their arrival in India. It is the FRRO that has the role of regulating their legal stay in India. To that extent, the FRRO manages all the tasks related to foreigners residing in India. This may include issuing residence permits, converting specific kinds of visas, and addressing matters related to visa extensions related to foreigners. In short, FRRO deals with all the legal formalities that need to be completed by the foreigners intending to stay long term.
Children below 16 years of age are exempt from FRRO Registration if they have entered on PIO card or on any type of visa and except where specified otherwise. It is mandatory for all foreigners to personally appear at the concerned FRRO office for obtaining any visa related services.
Usually hospitals own the responsibility of FRRO registration on behalf of foreign patient's
No fee is charged for registration, but a foreigner who has delayed registration and if the delay is condoned, a penalty in Indian currency equivalent to US$ 30/- for late registration may be charged.
Registration formalities for citizens of Bangladesh and Pakistan will necessarily have to match the requirements that are given in Para 106 and Para 118, for citizens of Bangladesh and citizens of Pakistan consecutively, in the Visa Manual. The citizens of these two countries are required to confirm their date of arrival and departure according to the present policies of their countries.
Extension of this visa up to another year is also possible year on the orders of the State Governments or FRROs if recognized hospital of India gives a medical certificate. If more extension is needed then on the suggestion of the State Government / FRROs coupled with suitable medical papers, the Ministry of Home Affairs can give a validation. This kind of a visa can get not more than 3 entries in one year. in case of emergencies, State Governments / FRROs has the ability to allow an additional entry.
Eligibility for Indian medical visa
- Medical visa is only granted to those whose travel to India only for medical treatment.
- Passport holders of 43 countries are eligible for eVisa. India government has rolled out an e-visa service that allows applicants to apply and pay for the visa to India online. You will need to have a Mastercard or VISA card to enable you to pay online.eVisa is valid only for 60 days. In order to apply for the long-term visa, you must fill the application form online and submit the hard copy to any Indian consulate or embassy in your respective country. The validity of India medical visa is 6 months to 1 year with multiple entries.
- Patient must have invitation letter from a recognized/reputed/specialize hospital/healthcare center in India.
- Only up to two medical attendants are allowed to accompany him/her. They can be his/her family members or close associates.
- Passport should have at least six months validity from the date of arrival in India. The passport should have at least two blank pages for stamping by the Immigration Officer.
- International travelers should have the return ticket or onward journey ticket, with sufficient money to spend during his/ her stay in India.
- Click here to request for medical travel assistance..Alternatively you can email us email@example.com or WhatsApp us on +91-9740177277 to book doctor appointments and invitation letter.
- Nationals of Yellow Fever affected countries must carry a yellow fever vaccination card at the time of arrival in India, otherwise they may be quarantined for 6 days upon arrival in India. See Yellow Fever countries here
Documents required to apply for Indian medical visa
- Duly completed and signed visa form with 2 photographs (2’x2’).Visa form can be filled online and hard copy needs to be submitted to Indian embassy.The photo should be of front view with a plain/light background. There should be no shadows and eyes should be open.
- Letter of invitation from an approved Hospital/recognized Doctor in India mentioning name of patent/attendant(s), Passport number(s), illness and duration of treatment
- Click here to request for the invitational letter..Alternatively you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp us on +91-9740177277 to book doctor appointments and invitation letter.
- Original national ID card and its photocopy
- Medical documents establishing the need for taking medical treatment in India along with local hospital/doctor referral letter
- Confirmed return air ticket
- Current address proof
- Proof of relationship with attendant (for Attendant visas)
- Passport copy of attendant (for Attendant visas)
- Bank statement/salary certificate/sponsorship letter (if you are a sponsored medical candidate) so as to prove the availability of sufficient funds for stay in India.
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate taken at least 10 days prior to your travel to India and Oral Polio Vaccination (OPV) certificate taken at least four weeks prior to your entry in the country.It's required only for people travelling from yellow fever affected countries
- The documents can only be presented or collected by one of the attendants or a close relative with letter of authority duly signed by the applicant.It should contain details of the authorized person’s ID card/Passport which can be verified. No application shall be accepted from a third party in any circumstance.
List of documents required for organ transplant in India
- Separate notarized agreements between the donor and the recipient duly signed by either party. The agreement should also specify the relationship between the donor and the recipient.
- Notarized consent letter from the care taker.
- Notarized consent letter from the parents or either of the parents, in case of minor children
- Medical reports and letter from the Ministry of Health.
- All the above documents should be duly attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before submission.
- Click here to request for the invitational letter..Alternatively you can email us email@example.com or WhatsApp us on +91-9740177277 to book doctor appointments and invitation letter.
Visa processing fee
Processing fee for e-visa is 50 USD.For long term visa charges very from country to country and visa duration
Visa processing time
A Medical/Medical Attendant visa is normally issued in 3 working days, exclusive of the day on which application is made. However, in cases of medical emergency, it may be issued in one working day (excluding the day of submission and subject to deposition of fee on the day of submission of application).
Authorized medical travel partner in India
Medinovita helps you to process your invitation letter, medical visa,book flight tickets,get accommodation at discounted price,arrange local transport,arrangement of food of your choice so that you can focus only on your healing. We do facilitate everything else needed for your medical travel to India.You will be assigned with a dedicated case manager to assist you throughout your medical trip in India. Click here to request for the invitational letter or treatment estimate.Alternatively you can email us firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp us on +91-9740177277 to book doctor appointments and invitation letter.
Step by step process to apply for long term medical visa(6 months to 1 year) to India
- Navigate to https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html and click on Regular Visa Application. Click here to request for Medinovita assitance for visa processing.Alternatively you can email us email@example.com or WhatsApp us on +91-9740177277 to book doctor appointments and invitation letter.
- Fill up the important credentials: your country’s name, high commission, date of birth, nationality, e-mail id, expected date of arrival in India and visa type. Enter the access code and click Continue.
- The online visa form consists of a total of three pages. Fill up each page of the form with your correct details. Click Save and Continue at the bottom after you finish filling up each page.
- Enter details of your family address and your profession or occupation.
- Enter your medical visa application details regarding the hospital in your country and the concerned hospital in India, duration of treatment, no. of entries, the purpose of visit, expected date of journey, expected time of arrival and departure, other information, details about SAARC country visit and reference.
- If you travel to India for your treatment only through Medinovita ’s assistance, then you can provide Medinovita’s office address and contact number of patient relations. However, an email seeking permission to use Medinovita's reference is required.
- You can upload your picture or paste it after you take out a print of the filled application form. If you want to upload your recent picture in the online form, click on Upload Photo.
- After you click Save and Continue on the third page, a preview containing all your details will appear.
- Click on Verified and Continue if all the data entered by you are correct.
- Go through the set of instructions that appear on the new window and press OK for final registration. To modify details click Cancel.
- After clicking OK a window will appear where you would have to select the appointment date for submission of application at the Mission Counter. Click on Confirm the Appointment.
- Another new window will open after you have clicked on Confirm the Appointment, bearing two options to Print or Save the online application. Save the online application. Do not print it immediately as you may lose the application by doing so.
- Click on Print Registered Application to get the hardcopy of your application form.
- If you haven’t uploaded your picture in the online application form, then paste it in the photo box on the first page. The photograph should be exactly the same size as the box (2inch X 2inch).
- Put your signature on the rectangular box just below the photo box. Do the same in the box at the bottom of the second page.
- Finally, submit the application form along with the required documents at the Mission Counter on the appointed date, mentioned at the right margin of the application, during the working hours.
Step by step process to apply for e-Medical visa (upto 60 days) to India
- Go to https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html and click on e-Visa Application button.
- Fill up the important credentials: passport type,nationality,port of arrival,date of birth,email id,expected date of arrival
- Select visa Service as eMEDICAL VISA and select 'SHORT TERM MEDICAL TREATMENT OF SELF' radio button
- Tick on "I have read the instructions, I have all the required documents in scanned pdf format and photograph in jpg/jpeg format." checkbox and click continue button.
- Keep the soft copy of below documents handy before proceding to next page
- Applicant's recent colored photograph (dimentions 2in X 2in) size less than 1MB
- Copy of Passport page containing personal particulars
- Copy of letter from the hospital concerned in India on its letterhead
- At this point, the website will give you the auto-generated application ID # unique to you. Take note of this. (Rest assured, the details will be sent later on in an email, but it’s good practice still to write this number down or take a screenshot of the page).
- Fill up all mandatory fields in applicant details and passport details section. Please ensure that all details entered are as per the passport
- Click on save and continue after filling all mandatory details. This will take you to a page where the applicant's address, family and occupation details need to be filled.
- Enter Present & permanent address,Parents details,marital status and occupation details.
- Click on save and continue after filling the above details. Now you will land on a page where details of visa sought needs to be updated.
- Please enter details of visa sought,details of medical treatment,previously held visa,Sarc country visit details & reference
- If you travel to India for your treatment only through Medinovita ’s assistance, then you can provide Medinovita’s office address and contact number of patient relations as the reference in India. However, an email seeking permission to use Medinovita's reference is required.
- Click on Save and Continue after filling all mandatory fields.This will take a page for uploading passport size photograph.
- Photo Specifications
- Format JPEG
- Size Minimum 10 KB , Maximum 1 MB
- The minimum dimensions are 350 pixels (width) x 350 pixels (height).
- Recent front facing photograph with white background to be uploaded by the applicant.
- Do not crop the Passport Image to use it as your recent photograph. Upload clear front facing photograph with preferable white/light coloured background.
- The application is liable to be rejected if the uploaded photograph are not clear and as per specification.
- Click on upload button and adjust the photo size online after uploading it.Click on Save and Continue
- Kindly ensure that the document is as per specifications mentioned below.
- All documents uploaded by the applicant including business cards,invitation letters etc. must be in English language, failing which e-Visa application would be liable for rejection.
- Format PDF
- Minimum size 10 KB and Maximum 300 KB
- Passport Upload - Photo page of Passport containing personal details like name, date of birth, nationality, expiry date etc. to be uploaded by the applicant.
- Photo page of Passport uploaded should be of the same passport whose details are provided in passport details section.
- The application is liable to be rejected if the uploaded document is not clear and as per specification.
- Tick 'I have verified that all the documents are uploaded as per the requirement.' checkbox and click on Confirm button after uploading the documents.
- At this stage, you will be in a page to verify the particulars filled in the application form. Please verify all fields thoroughly. Click on the modify button to edit the fields in case of any error. Otherwise, click on verified and continue button
- You will be taken to a page to make payment. You have the option to make the payment right away or pay later.
- Click on Pay Now button and select payment gateway.
- The next web page will show you the portal of selected payment gateway which gives you the option to pay for the visa fee with a debit card, a credit card or with PayPal.
- Payment of this fee is NOT a guarantee that your visa will be approved. It is also non-refundable. In case of any double/triple payments, it will be refunded after due reconciliation within seven (7) days. Either way, please be careful while doing the payment process because if the number of unsuccessful attempts are more than 3, you would have to start afresh and redo the whole application form again with a new application ID #.
- After you complete the whole online application, you’ll just have to wait for an email update from them that confirms that your E-Visa is Granted. If it is, they will proceed to send you your Electronic Travel Authorization or ETA
- Normally, visa processing takes 24 hours to 72 hours
- To be entirely sure, please confirm that your ETA status is shown as Granted on India eVisa portal before you fly. If there are any problems, you can contact support center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here to place a request for Medinovita assitance in visa processing.Alternatively you can email us email@example.com or WhatsApp us on +91-9740177277 to book doctor appointments and invitation letter.
Extension of Indian medical visa
The initial period for the medical visa is up to a period of one year or the period of treatment whichever less, which can be extended for a further period up to one year by the State Government/ FRROs on the production of medical certificate/ advice from the reputed/ recognized/ specialized hospitals in the country.
Any further extension will be granted by the Ministry of Home Affairs only on the recommendations of the State Government/ FRROs supported by appropriate Medical documents. Such visa will be valid for maximum three entries during one year. State Government/ FRROs may permit one additional entry in an emergent situation if required.
Documents needed for the extension of Indian medical visa
- Application form.
- Photocopy of the passport and the initial visa.
- Four photographs of the applicant.
- Details of residence in India
Contact details of FRRO's for the extension of Indian medical visa
|Bangalore||5th Floor, 'A' Block,|
TTMC, BMTC Bus Stand Building,
Bangalore - 560027
|Calicut||20/1305, Castle View, Thiruvannur Road,|
|Chennai||No. 26 Shastri Bhawan Annexe,Building 26|
|Cochin||2nd Floor, Airlines Building, Cochin|
International Airport Ltd.,Airport PO,
|Delhi||East Block —VIII,Level -2 Sector -1|
R.K Puram New Delhi-66
|Kolkata||237, A.J.C Bose Road, Kolkatafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mumbai||Annex-|| Bldg., 3rd Floor Badruddin|
Tayyabji Marg,Behind St.Xavier College, C.S.T
Need assistance to get Indian medical visa?
Medinovita assist patients in applying for Indian medical visa as a complimentary service. In case if you need any assistance in getting a visa, please submit an inquiry or email on email@example.com. You can also call or WhatsApp us on +91-9740177277. We usually respond within one hour of receiving the inquiry.